Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Experience with Ubuntu

Current Mood: contemplative
BG Music: The constant tapping of keyboard keys, the sleep-inducing sound of the AC unit sang by ICS PCLAB CFNR

I remember way back during my new freshman years, I took PSY1 and learned one very interesting concept about memories. This concept is called retrospective memory, which can be defined as memories that a person remembers in the past that somehow affects a his or her behavior in the present.This is exactly what I had experienced when I first used Ubuntu. 

I've been so used to Microsoft Windows that I subconsciously tried to compare it with Ubuntu. I expected taskbar buttons to be at the bottom, but instead I found them at the top. I search for a "Start" button, where all programs can be easily located, but there wasn't one. I got confused where the shutdown button is. I searched for a "My Computer" icon on the desktop, sadly there wasn't one. Everything was so new to me. All of a sudden, I turned into my grandmother.

I understand that Ubuntu is free and that it is open-source. From what I understand, open source means that you can modify the software settings of Ubuntu whenever you want. The settings are accessible and you don't have to ask permission from Linux if you want to configure it.

Being a not-so-techie kind of person, I really won't get anything from that feature of Ubuntu. What I will of course most benefit from is the fact that it is free. Although being a gamer (ie. Starcraft, Warcraft, Dota, CS, Diablo), Ubuntu definitely won't be a top choice in my list of best Operating Systems.

I guess Ubuntu is best for schools and offices, so that students and office personnel will really do their job. Plus, it will save school administrations and companies big amounts of money.
But what I very much like about Ubuntu is their built-in picture-editing software called Gimp. I actually have it on my PC at home. I couldn't afford Photoshop, so I had to resort to it. The software is less complicated compared to PS, because some of the effects are already preset. You don't have to key in figures or adjust settings just to achieve a desired effect. It's amateurish, but the results can sometimes be much better than when edited with PS.

So to conclude, I'm not saying that I like Ubuntu; I don't hate it either. I just won't benefit from it that much that's all. I think it's great that a community (of geeks, most probably) was able to bring Ubuntu to life. They very much contributed to the development of man.

There are a lot of great minds out there. In the current generation, the youth is even more technologically innovative than highly educated professionals. And the creator of Facebook can very much attest to that.
Maybe I've underestimated Ubuntu now. Who knows that maybe in the next years to come, Ubuntu might just beat Mac OS or Microsoft Windows.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment